About Mental Health Week October 7-13 2018
The Aim of Mental Health Week is to promote social and emotional wellbeing to the community, encouraging people to maximise their health potential, enhancing the coping capacity of communities, families, individuals and increasing mental health recovery.
Objectives of Mental Health Week:
- Increase mental health literacy in the general population
- Decrease the stigma surrounding mental illness
- Increase help-seeking or preventative behaviours
- Celebrate the achievements of mental health consumers
- Develop public and stakeholder awareness of the range of services available
This year’s NT Mental Health Week painting is titled Healing Your Thoughts by Leigh Foulestone
Healing your thoughts – Leigh’s story
In the old ways, we use to have gatherings, in these gatherings the elders would speak about ways of healing the young and old. They would bring their own knowledge from their area (country) and share within the circle to teach their people.
This painting represents four characters coming together to share their knowledge and to represent a whole person. Combining 1. Mind (mental illness), 2. Speech (expression), 3. Courage (stomach) and 4. Strength (heart), to show the path to healing your thoughts.